Thursday, June 23, 2011

Destiny's Dream - Review



Today I'd like to welcome Delia Latham as we open with the first story of the Solomon's Gate series. Let's step inside.


Destiny's Dream


Is a little respect too much to ask at a parent's funeral?


Apparently it is for Destiny May. Her mother's "going away party" is crashed by a totally irreverent stranger. Clay Gallagher is built like a small mountain and far more vocal than is fitting. When it turns out he's not even at the right funeral, Destiny demands retribution in the form of an escape from the day's dreary proceedings.


Their relationship has some kinks - starting with Destiny's determination to found a Christian dating service in their conservative town of Castle Creek. Clay has little respect or patience for such a frivolous profession. But when Destiny is threatened by an anonymous caller who deeply resents her and what she does for a living, Clay makes it his business to keep the saucy redhead out of harm's way.


Trouble is, spending time in her company weakens his defenses...and Cupid's arrows are known to fly straight to the heart.


Review

I’m not usually fond of prologues, but Ms. Latham grabbed me right there, in the opening pages and didn’t let go until I reached The End. There is such heartfelt wonder in the tragic opening event (and no, I won’t even spoil that much for you) that I could have been in the room with them. And the message spoken to Destiny in those first pages speaks direct to the reader’s heart.

From that point on I couldn’t wait to find out what would happen.

Ms. Latham’s characters are so dear I would love to have them for my own friends. Someone you could count on to have your back through thick and thin. The love and understanding that travels between them reaches across the pages like being in a room with two people you know are meant to be together, even though it seems doubtful at times that they will ever get to that point.

There are twists and turns to this story that kept me guessing all the way till the end – truly a mark of a great writer.

So if you’re looking for a story that will wrap you in a warm, loving cocoon, but at the same time, leave you wondering if things will ever work out right, then you need to pick this one up.

My hat’s off to you, Delia, well done! I can’t wait to read the next one.

4 comments:

  1. Great review, Donna. So great that I'll have to add Destiny's Dream to my summer reading stack (already read Kylie's Kiss and loved it!). Thanks for sharing.

    Awesome writing, Delia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Donna! I so appreciate your wonderful review. And Dora, I hope you do read Destiny's Dream, and that you find something within its pages to bless and encourage you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, ladies! Delia, I can't wait to read Kylie's Kiss! Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've believed in the power of anointing oil for years. Would love to win the necklace. Thanks for the opportunity!

    Linda at desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete